363 Main Street, Third Floor, Hartford, CT 06106
Ph: 866-744-5709


The purpose of my visit is to work in the US temporarily. What should I do?
If you will be working in the US, your prospective employer or agent must file Form I-129, Petition for Nonimmigrant Worker, and the appropriate supplement with the Immigration and Naturalization Service accompanied by the required payment, and initial evidence or documentation. In some cases, your employer must get a certificate from the Department of Labor prior to filing the I-129.

Once your petition is approved, your employer or agent is sent a Notice of Approval, Form I-797. Approval of a petition does not guarantee a visa. After the I-129 has been approved and notice has been sent to the consulate in your country, you must file a visa application with the consulate. Some aliens may be visa exempt. In those cases, the I-129 approval notice is sent to the port of entry (POE) where you intend to apply for admission.

What is a visa and what do I need it for?
A visa is a permit to apply to enter the United States. It classifies your visit or stay in the U.S as a business visit, visit for tourism, etc and is valid for multiple entries during a specified period of time. For a temporary visit, you need to obtain a nonimmigrant visa. For permanent residency, you need to obtain an immigrant visa.

Under the Visa Waiver Program, nationals of participating countries do not require a visa to apply to enter the United States as a visitor for business or pleasure (B-1 or B-2 visa categories), if staying for no more than 90 days.

Canadians do not generally require a nonimmigrant visa unless they are coming to the United States as a Treaty Trader.

How can I get a visa?
For all immigrant visas except those won through the Diversity Visa Lottery Program, you must first apply with the Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS). After receiving approval from the INS, you then must go to your local U.S. consulate to complete your processing.

If you fall under the following nonimmigrant categories apply for a visa at the Department of State:

    • Diplomatic and other government officials, and their families and employees
    • Temporary visitors for business or pleasure
    • Aliens in Transit
    • Crewmen
    • International Traders and Investors
    • Representatives to international organizations and their families and employees
    • Representatives of foreign media and their families
    • Exchange Visitors and their families
    • Religious Workers

If you do not fall under these categories but will be coming into the US as a nonimmigrant then you must apply for a nonimmigrant visa through the INS.

I got my Visa. Is that all I need to be admitted to the U.S?
No. Once you receive an immigrant or nonimmigrant visa, you are authorized to travel to the United States. However, a visa does not guarantee that you will be allowed to enter the United States. The INS has authority to grant or deny your admission to the United States and determine how long you may stay in the United States if admitted. You will have to go through the Inspection process at your port of entry and then be admitted in.

How can I become a permanent resident of the US?
You must go through a multi-step process to become an immigrant. First, the INS must approve an immigrant petition for you, usually filed by an employer or relative (certain applicants such as investors or workers with extraordinary ability can petition on their own behalf). Second, the State Department must give you an immigrant visa number, even if you are already in the United States. If you are outside the United States, you will be notified to go to the local U.S. consulate to complete the processing for an immigrant visa.

The following is a list of some of the most common ways used to apply for permanent residency:

    • Immigration through a family member
    • Immigration through employment
    • Immigration through investment
    • Adjusting to lawful permanent resident status as an asylee or refugee
    • Immigration through the Diversity Lottery

Contact The Law Office of Wayne E. Chapple, LLC we are experienced and ready to help with your immigration and naturalization issues.

The Law Office of Wayne E. Chapple, LLC is dedicated to representing individuals and their families with their immigration and naturalization issues. We have a reputation for excellence, ethics and compassion, and understand that the immigration and naturalization issues facing the individuals and their families are complicated. Contact us for an initial consultation. The attorney's consultation fee is $150 unless he is retained that day, there will be no consultation fee.

The Law Office of Wayne E. Chapple, LLC
363 Main Street, Third Floor, Hartford, CT 06106
Toll Free: 866-744-5709 | Local: 860-387-4700

Get a free consultation

Captcha Image
This is a paid advertisement.
By submitting a question, you agree
to our terms and conditions. Connecticut Work Visa Lawyer
Connecticut Work Visa Lawyer
> >